Gorgo.Live.ToString()

Mariusz, Gorzoch tech Blog

Archive for the ‘Windows store’ Category

A device attached to the system is not functioning

with 2 comments

or if you prefer the full message:

Error Message:

A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)

Stack Trace:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
 

Our team get it when we were trying to certificate our Win8 app against Microsoft store. Before I get into detail’s let me give you some background:

Link to the app :   
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/nb-no/app/ntf-befaring/aab4ce14-d341-4fd6-a1f2-4bc51670df7f   
   
Application was built with use of :  
Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate   
Windows 8.1  
   
We are targeting:  
Windows 8 , x64, x86, ARM devices  
   
Our app uses:  
Camera   
      
We did so far 7 releases of the app and recently we had to introduce one emergency change into the app. That extra change was connected with removing automatic deletion of the reports (those with you can see on the main screen of the app) in case of some special conditions. That change was really simple one and should not affect at all stability of the app. Unfortunately even the release 7 went without any problem than the current release (=release 7 + some really simple change) cannot go thru certification process at all. According to the reports with we were getting from Microsoft testers our app crashes almost on the first screen (and if not there, then on the second screen). The thing is : that we cannot reproduce that at all and by this I mean:  
   
1.      We have tried our app on our corporate laptops “Latitude E6420”  
a.       Windows 8 x64 version of our app  
b.      Windows 8 x86 version of our app  
c.       Windows 8.1 x64 version of our app  
d.      Windows 8.1 x86 version of our app  
2.      We have tried our app on ASUS Vivo Tab RT (ARM version of our app)  
3.      Lenovo ultra-book : http://www.x-kom.pl/p/171366-ultrabook-13-3-lenovo-ibm-yoga-13-i5-3337u-8gb-128ssd-win8-pomaranczowy.html   
4.      Samsung device : http://www.tabletmaniak.pl/77329/test-samsung-ativ-smart-pc-500t/   
5.      Our app is used by numbers of users in Norway (they are using release 7 of the app)  
6.      Our app was tested by our colleagues in Holte-Norway   
   
and no one on our site report to us such a problem.

We were blind and we run out of ideas…and then one team member suggested that maybe we should try to build our solution based on Windows 8 (=not windows 8.1). He was the only one in our team who didn’t upgrade his machine yet. We tried that, and guess what : on the next day our app went thru Microsoft tests without any problem.

So, if you have similar problem then ensure that if you are using Visual Studio 2012 to build your app for Windows store, then you use Windows 8 and not Windows 8.1. Most probably this is some kind of bug on the Microsoft site, and maybe at the time when you read that this will be not relevant at all…but for now, it is… and we wasted around 2weeks to sort it out.

Advertisements

Written by Mariusz Gorzoch

6 February 2014 at 08:24